The Nevis Island Administration – Information Technology Department wishes to inform the general public that it will be hosting its second annual Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Week, during the period April 29th – May 5th 2018. This week of activities provides an exciting opportunity for the department to engage civil society and other key stakeholders on a number of important ICT issues. The theme for this year is “ICT – Supporting the thrust towards a 21st Century Economy.”
The goals of ICT Week are:
- To promote the growth and development of our local ICT sector.
- To connect ICT solution providers with solution seekers.
- To raise awareness about critical ICT issues such as cyber-security, cloud computing, block chain technologies and artificial intelligence.
- To generate interest in ICT as a career path amongst our youth.
In accordance with this year’s theme, the department will host the first ever Nevis Digital Conference presented by Amazon Web Services, that will feature a keynote presentation by Professor Jeremy Stephen of the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill, Barbados, who will speak on the topic “Blockchain Technologies and Cryptocurrencies.” Additional presentations will be made by:
- EMEFA SEWORDOR – Senior Research Officer at the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank on Regulation of Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies and Digital Wallets.
- Alex Straun – CEO at JAD on a Digital Wallet Implementation with JAD.
- Deon Herbert – Owner CaribePay – The CaribePay electronic payment system.
- Luis Ayala – Cloud Computing Technologies with Amazon Web Services.
- Ervin Williams – Telecoms Infrastructure for the 21st Century Economy.
The following is a full list of activities that will be facilitated as part of this year’s event:
- Church Service – 29th April, 2018
- Talks at the Secondary Schools – 30th April, 2018
- Primary School Quiz (NEPAC) – 1st May, 2018
- Launch of the revamped NIA Website & e-Services – 2nd May, 2018
- Nevis Digital Conference presented by Amazon Web Services (NEPAC) – 3rd May, 2018
- 21st Century Government Workshop presented by the Caribbean Telecommunications Union – 4th May, 2018
- ICT In the Square – 4th May, 2018
- Delta Awards Dinner – 5th May , 2018
The Information Technology Department wishes to invite the general public to participate in these events. Further information, including event registration can be found on the website – ictweek.niagov.com
Figure 1 – Prof. Jeremy Stephen
ICT Week 2018 has been made possible with the support of the following sponsors:
- Amazon Web Services
- Nevis Island Administration
- Chameleon Media
- Caribbean Telecommunications Union
- Cbizz/Dell EMC
- King Computer Corporation
- OHM International