In response to the aspirations expressed by the CTU members, the CTU conceived the Caribbean ICT Roadshow to support members in the realization of their goals in their migration to knowledge societies. The Roadshow was designed to raise public awareness and to educate on the power of ICT to transform every sphere of endeavour and to highlight the significant role of innovation in transformation process. The theme chosen for the initiative was “Harnessing the power of innovation, the engine for ICT-enabled Caribbean Development”.
The specific objectives of the initiative are:
- To foster innovation in the application of ICT to Caribbean challenges in government, the private sector and civil society
- To build regional awareness among the public sector, private sector and civil society of the innovative and effective use of ICTs in every aspect of Caribbean life
- To accelerate the effective use of ICT by regional governments in the delivery of public services and transparent governance
- To encourage greater regional collaboration in the development of regional ICT solutions and regional best practices
- To promote the work, role and programmes of the Caribbean Telecommunications Union as a resource to the region
- To forge closer relationships between Caribbean ICT stakeholders and regional Internet communities and to encourage greater Caribbean participation in international fora.
The following results are anticipated.
- Greater understanding of the need for adoption of ICT tools by the public and private sector especially Small and Medium Enterprises (SME’s) to enhance productivity, efficiency and quality
- Commitment to innovation in ICT development
- Strengthening ties between the CTU Secretariat and its Member States
- Securing support for indigenous talent development in ICT innovation
- Encouraging support for relevant regional research
- Increased contribution by local/regional companies in directly facilitating knowledge sharing and the development and the creation of ICT capacity
- Greater awareness and understanding among stakeholders of the impact of the Internet in national development
- Improvement in the quality of decision-making for Internet Governance in respective administrations
- Improved policy-making and regulatory function for sustainable development of regional
- Internet infrastructure and services
- Greater participation by the Caribbean in international Internet fora
- Strengthening regional ICT bodies.
These goals and aspirations are directly congruent with the CTU’s mandate for ICT coordination, harmonization and promoting greater understanding of ICT issues as they relate to social and economic development.